INTERNSHIP: Media Production
(Remote – Unpaid)
June 12 – August 25, 2023
The internship will begin on June 12 and end on August 25, 2025.
What You’ll Do:
The Better Breeder Institute’s 2023 Media Production Internship is a remote, unpaid internship working 10-12 hours/week. This internship will provide the opportunity to collaborate with our team in developing and expanding our video publication efforts, focus on serving the purebred, conservationist dog breeder community. The goal of this Internship is to give the successful candidate experience in planning, producing, post-production, and distribution of a video podcast with the goal of educating & entertaining our audience and increasing brand awareness. The intern will be responsible for:
- Assisting in the review, selection, and integration of video podcasting tools and services
- Assisting in the video process development
- Participate in prospecting and pre-interviewing guests
- Scheduling interviews
- Editing podcasts
- Preparation of video, audio & social media material for distribution
We look for a college or university student who is responsible, creative, and passionate about the opportunity to produce a video podcast that will be seen and heard by thousands of dog breeders.
The Ideal Candidate will be:
A motivated, tech-savvy college student currently pursuing a degree in a field related to Media Production. They will be actively involved in the sport of purebred dogs, either as a breeder/handler and/or past junior handler, and possess deep knowledge of the AKC Conformation Dog Show world. They will also have the desire to serve, support, and promote the purebred, conservationist dog breeder community.
What it Takes:
This internship will provide the opportunity to acquire media production skills and provide working knowledge of various stages of online media publishing. Ultimately, the intern will gain professional experience that will prepare them to enter the modern work environment and become an immediate asset to any media, communications, or public relations department. Internship applicants should:
- Be a college Junior or Senior in standing, OR have graduated within the past 12 months.
- Majoring in Communications, Media Production, Broadcasting, Journalism, or a related field.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher.
- Have a passion for purebred dogs and an interest in positively impacting the conservationist breeder community.
- Be a self-starter with an inquisitive mind, always looking for new and better ways to achieve an excellent result.
- Can work in a fast-paced virtual environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills (oral & writing). Possess strong research, project management, and organizational skills.
- Be able to work independently and proactively engage team members with ideas and potential opportunities.
- Have familiarity with video, web content, and social media, and experience with video editing software (Adobe Premier Pro or similar software), YouTube, Facebook Live, Spotify, Canva, and WordPress (or similar CMS).
- Be proficient with Microsoft Office products: including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Be proficient with Google Tools: including Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Gmail (Google Analytics & Search Console a plus: not required)
- Have Adobe Suite background – Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign (a plus; not required)
- Have a video production background (a plus; not required)
- Be available to work 10-12 hours/week. The weekly schedule is flexible.
This is a remote, unpaid position that offers the flexibility to work from home. To take advantage of this opportunity, you must:
- Have reliable, high-speed internet.
- Have a high-quality laptop or desktop computer and appropriate home office ergonomics
- Be proficient in working in a virtual environment and communicating primarily via email, video, and/or text messaging.
Learning Objectives & Skill Development Goals:
Gain valuable experience and mentoring opportunities as you collaborate with experienced marketing, web development, business, and management professionals. Become proficient in media planning, organization, and execution. Learn how to develop a content editorial calendar. Acquire a strong working knowledge of:
- Canva Graphic Design platform
- Facebook advertising and Live streaming tools
- WordPress CMS (using a custom block/Gutenberg editor)
- MailChimp email campaign design and automation
Become adept at researching and learning how to use various digital platforms, executing campaigns, and implementing processes to accomplish campaign objectives.
A remote media production internship involves similar tasks and responsibilities to an in-person internship, but with the added challenge of completing them from a remote location. Here are some common activities that you may be involved in during a remote media production internship:
- Collaborating with team members through virtual platforms like Zoom, Facetime, or Microsoft Teams.
- Assisting with pre-production tasks, such as project brainstorming, conducting pre-interviews, research, scriptwriting, scheduling, and communicating with team members via email or messaging.
- Participating in the planning and coordination of interview recordings remotely, including configuring and testing software tools, and helping to manage the production schedule.
- Assisting with on-set production tasks remotely, such as providing feedback and direction to other team members.
- Helping to edit and post-produce video content, using video editing software and sharing files with team members.
- Participating in virtual team meetings and contributing ideas and feedback to the production process.
Remote media production internships require strong communication skills and the ability to work independently while still collaborating with a team. They also require proficiency in digital tools such as remote collaboration platforms. Overall, a remote media production internship can provide valuable experience in a fast-paced and dynamic industry while also developing skills in remote work and communication.
At the Better Breeder Institute, we serve the conservationist dog breeding community — purposeful purebred dog breeders who are committed to the preservation & advancement of their breed.
We provide information, instruction, and specialized services for breeders to improve the communication, promotion, and business processes of their breeding programs. Through the development of digital resources, we share expertise in a manner that breeders can learn, apply, and benefit from. This knowledge enables them to differentiate their breeding programs from the backyard, for-profit, and commercial breeders. We enable them to earn a higher level of respect and esteem from puppy buyers & the general public and to develop a deeper sense of pride in their canine endeavors.
To apply, please submit your resume, including a detailed overview of your experience in purebred dogs and professional career goals.
Applications must be received by June 2, 2023, to be considered.